The quilting world is a-buzz! (well, at least any followers of Bonnie Hunter are).
She has posted the first step of her new mystery quilt today, Orca Bay.
Needless to say, I will be joining in, even though my Roll Roll Cotton Boll still isn't done. :)
I don't know what it is though, I can't seem to keep my mind on one project these days. Every time I check/read blogs, I see new ideas, new crafts, new gifts to make.
A couple of days ago I made this, one of those funky leaf bowls.
I remembered seeing them somewhere and did a search. Quilt Canada had members make them for their big conference. You can find the pattern here. I had a hell of a time zig zag stitching the edges. That probably took more time than any other part of it.
I had to modify the pattern a bit. I didn't have the fusible stuff they suggested, something similar to TimTex, so I just used a couple pages of Heat and Bond on a scrap piece of fabric in the middle, between my inside and outside layers. It works for me!
Then, Cathy and Denise decided to try something new. Faux Applique. The author even has a tutorial on her website to give an idea of how it's done. Guess what? PLAY TIME!!!
I couldn't find the textile medium that Helen suggested in her tutorial (of course not - some things are just next to impossible to locate in this country). And when you really have the bug to make something, you don't want to order online and wait a week or two for the product to get to you.
Searching the craft and art stores locally, I found Michael's has a product by Martha Stewart, a tintable fabric medium.
According to the description, this should work.
"Mix with Martha Stewart Crafts Acrylic Paints for a softer, more flexible finish when painting on fabric. Mix 1 part medium to 2 parts paint. Heat set projects for permanence and washability. Waterbased."
I'm not mixing it with one of her paints, I'm using pencil crayons!
In my Quilting Designs program (from EQ), there was a cute little flower picture. Simple is better right? Especially when you're just trying something out.
Here's what mine looks like right now.
I didn't want just solid coloured flowers so I tried to shade them a bit, overlapping the colours.
This piece is about 6 inches by 6 inches. And no I didn't forget a flower and stem, it only had three. :)
Anyways, once this dries (in 24 hours) then I can heat set it and then I'll do some free motion quilting around it, maybe just outlining... not sure yet.
This could make a nice little cover piece for my kindle!
Alright, now I'm off to finish putting the borders on my cruise quilt. I've made a promise to myself. Even though I'm going to follow along with Bonnie's new mystery, I'm going to get the cruise quilt and RRCB to the flimsy stage before I even start cutting for Orca Bay. (yeah... right!) LOL